General information about recruitment
The goal of the project is to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of MOF design by using new calculation methods. In cooperation with scientists from the United Kingdom and Canada, a new program will be developed that allows building MOF structures starting from the simplest building blocks, i.e. knot metal atoms and organic connectors - bridges. Using the procedures proposed in the project, you will be able to find the most likely MOF structures and predict their properties. The main goal of the project is to create a new methodology, new tools that would allow computational design of MOFs with specific previously assumed functionalities (for example, which could serve as sensors / sensors for detection of air and water pollution). Achieving project goals, i.e. developing the proposed new MOF design methodology, will allow obtaining the most promising MOFs for sensory applications BEFORE their experimental, synthetic verification, which will definitely increase the efficiency of searching for new MOFs and allow them to be produced faster and much cheaper than it is currently done.
Conditions for the candidate
- Knowledge of the crystallization techniques.
- Proficiency in making X-ray structural measurements and analyzing their results.
- Fluent command of spoken and written English.
Schedule of the Doctoral School enrolment procedure
- registration in IRK: 23 Oct. – 6 Nov. 2019
- acceptance of documents: 23 Oct. – 6 Nov. 2019, until 14.00,
- selection procedure: to 17 Nov. 2019
- publication of the ranking list: to 24 Nov. 2019,
- publication of the list of persons admitted to the Doctoral School: to 1 Dec. 2019.
Form of the selection procedure
- assessment of completeness and formal compliance of documents,
- assessment of experience necessary to implement the project,
Language of the enrolment procedure, including interviews
The interview shall be conducted in Polish with elements of English or entirely in English as chosen by the candidate.
- the application generated in IRK, stating the subject-matter of the application, including the chosen discipline in which the candidate plans to pursue education, PESEL [Personal Identification Number] or passport number, nationality, contact details (address, e-mail address, telephone number), information whether the candidate gives their consent to receive administrative decisions by electronic means and signature;
- a diploma of completion of the long-cycle Master’s degree programme or second-cycle programme or an equivalent diploma obtained under separate regulations, or a declaration that the diploma or certificate of obtaining a Master’s degree shall be provided by 16 September 2019; if the diploma or certificate is not provided by this date, the selection committee shall refuse to admit the candidate to the Doctoral School;
- a resumé or curriculum vitae containing information about the candidate’s scientific interests and scientific activity from 1 October 2014 onwards, subject to § 18 section 7, in particular publications, research work in scientific associations, participation in scientific conferences, participation in research projects, awards, distinctions, research internships and possible recommendations from academics;
- documents confirming the command of foreign languages or a declaration about the command of English to the extent enabling the education in the Doctoral School;
- a declaration of the planned supervisor about their willingness to be the candidate’s supervisor if the candidate is entered on the list of doctoral students and about the number of doctoral students for whom they are the designated supervisor;
- documents confirming the fulfillment of the conditions listed in point under the title "Conditions for the candidate"
- one photograph;
- consent to the processing of personal data for the purposes of the selection procedure.
Scans of the documents referred to in points 2-6, and materials confirming the own scientific activity indicated in the CV (e.g. at least the title page confirming the authorship of the publication), as well as a photo of the candidate shall be placed in the IRK system by 6 November 2019 until 11:59 PM.
The original documents from points 1, 2 and 8 are submitted to the Secretariat of the Doctoral School of Exact and Natural Sciences ( Krakowskie Przedmieście 1 Street) by 6 November 2019 by 2 PM.
Evaluation criteria and method
1. assessment of completeness and formal compliance of documents,
2. assessment of experience necessary to work in a research project, including scientific achievements (0-50 points)
3. interview (0-50 points)
. conversation about the research project, understanding of the research topic by the candidate,
. checking knowledge of English.
. a series of short questions about the scientific achievements presented and questions about the progress of previous studies. Questions in the field of:
■ knowledge of crystallization techniques.
■ proficiency in making X-ray structural measurements and analyzing their results.
The education lasts 4 years. It includes obligatory classes (no more than 240 hours in total during the whole period of education) and the implementation of an individual research program, carried out under the supervision of a supervisor.
Doctoral thesis under the program may not last longer than 4 years.
The doctoral student works under the direction of the supervisor. The supervisor's selection declaration should be submitted at the time of submitting recruitment documents.
4,500 PLN for a period of 36 months; after the end of the project, by the end of the fourth year of education at the Doctoral School, the scholarship will amount to PLN 3653.70