The recruitment in the Doctoral School of Exact and Natural Sciences for grant projects will start on 06 September 2019. Please find below the planned schedule and general basic rules of recruitment. The detailed rules will be made available from 06 September 2019.
Procedure steps (for Principal Investigators - PI)
- PI shall notify the Recruitment Committee (RC) chair of the need for a doctoral student.
- The RC chair shall approve the application and forward it to the chair of the Evaluation Team (ET) relevant to the subject of the grant.
- The ET chairs monitor the recruitment process in their discipline (completeness of documents, selection procedure etc.) for a specific grant.
Schedule of grant recruitment procedures:
- The deadline for submitting (PI) the demand for doctoral students financed by grants: 05 September 2019 by 12:00 (noon).
- Announcement of the competition for additional places in the doctoral school: 06 September 2019.
- Deadline for submission of documents by candidates: 06-20 September 2019.
- Qualification procedure: 23-25 September 2019.
- Announcement of the results of the recruitment process: 27 September 2019.
- Deadline for delivery of the diploma: 30 September 2019 at 12.00.
Documents required in paper form and to be filled in electronically:
- Application for admission to the Doctoral School generated from the IRK [internet recruitment of candidates] system
- GDPR information clause generated by the IRK system
- Declaration of no criminal record generated by the IRK system
- Diploma entitling to begin education in a Doctoral School (MSc or equivalent diploma)
Other documents required for recruitment for grant projects will be uploaded by candidates to the IRK system. A detailed list of documents will be available in the candidate's account in September.
General criteria and the way of evaluation within the disciplines:
- scientific achievements: publications, participation in student competitions, research projects, seminar and conference papers/releases presented, research internships, grants and prizes received (up to 20 points),
- an interview on the topic of the master's thesis and research plans (up to 40 points),
- consistency of the candidate's skills with the subject matter and objectives of the grant/department (up to 40 points).
- In the case of achievements of many authors, it is necessary to determine the percentage share of the candidate in the achievement.
- I nterview with the candidate. This interview will include the following elements:
* an interview on the candidate's master's thesis, understanding of the topic, research hypotheses, its implementation, results obtained and conclusions;
* questions about the scientific achievements presented and questions about the progress of the studies;
* questions about future research tasks and understanding of the grant.
- The candidate's skills include a number of characteristics that determine the candidate's suitability for the research task. In particular, they may include: proven knowledge of research topics, experience in research topics, knowledge of software and/or programming languages consistent with the objectives of the grant.
- scientific achievements (0-15 points): publications, participation in student competitions, research projects, seminar and conference papers/releases, research placements;
- examination (0-40 points): a check on the candidate's knowledge and skills in the discipline, in an interview in English, concerning his/her master's thesis (thesis assumptions, research hypotheses, key findings and their interpretation in relation to literature data);
- evaluation of the applicant's scientific potential (0-45 points): evaluation of the applicant's scientific potential in the context of the project he/she is applying for.
Interview in Polish or English (according to the candidate's preferences) concerning:
- the research project (understanding of the subject, research hypotheses, knowledge of techniques necessary for the project implementation, ability to identify weaknesses of the project)
- previous scientific achievements of the candidate
- scientific achievements: publications, participation in student competitions, research projects, seminar and conference papers/releases, research placements (0-25 points);
- presentation of a 10-minute multimedia presentation on the research project; the PDF file of the presentation should be placed in the IRK system (0-25 pts.);
- oral examination - checking the candidate's knowledge and skills in the field of chemical sciences, with particular emphasis on the area of knowledge in which research concerning the project is planned (0-25 points);
- an assessment of the candidate's scientific potential; this will be an interview with the candidate in the field of chemical sciences and will concern, among others, the candidate's previous research work and achievements to date (0-25 points).
- scientific achievements: publications, participation in student competitions, research projects, seminars and conferences, papers/releases, research internships (0-15 points)
- research project: description of scientific interests in the context of the planned research (up to 5 000 characters in English) (0-5 points),
- examination – a written examination on the candidate's knowledge and skills in the field of physical sciences. The requirements are given in https://szkolydoktorskie.uw.edu.pl/en/node/44. Before the exam the candidate will choose the subject range defined by one of the lists from this page. The candidate will elaborate on three subjects corresponding to the selected range; these subjects will be formulated by the Recruitment Committee; for a given range these subjects will be identical for all candidates (up to 40 points),
- evaluation of the applicant's scientific potential during an interview (up to 40 points).
In the case of achievements of many authors, the percentage of the candidate's share of the achievement must be specified.
The interview with the candidate will include the following elements:
- an interview on the candidate's thesis, understanding of the topic, research hypotheses, its implementation, results obtained and conclusions,
- a series of short questions concerning the presented scientific achievements and questions concerning the course of studies.
Earth and Environmental Sciences
- scientific achievements: publications, participation in student competitions, research projects, seminar and conference papers/releases, research placements (0-15 points),
- description of scientific interests in the context of the research project to be undertaken (up to 5,000 characters in English). In the case of applicants applying in the frame of grant projects, a short description of the candidate’s tasks in the project should also be included (0-5 points),
- oral examination – checking the candidate’s knowledge and skills (max 40 points),
- evaluation of the applicant’s scientific potential (max 40 points).
Warsaw Doctoral School of Mathematics and Computer Science
The ET evaluates the submitted application on the basis of the same scoring rules as in the ordinary recruitment procedure (point 3.6 of the Appendix to the Recruitment Resolution of 17 April 2019), with the following reservations:
- The evaluation is made on the basis of one recommendation letter sent by the PI or a person indicated by the PI.
- If the number of expected positions is higher than the number of applicants:
- the examination is not organised if the candidate's grade based on the documentation gives a recruitment score of 51 points or higher. In such a case, this result is considered to be the final recruitment score.
If the need for an examination is found to be necessary, an oral examination shall be conducted in front of at least a three-person committee appointed by the ET.
Dear Sir or Madam,
in accordance with Resolution No. 412 of the University of Warsaw Senate of April 17, 2019 regarding the conditions and procedure of recruitment for the PhD Schools at the University of Warsaw in the academic year 2019/2020, we remind you that on June 21, 2019 is the last day of submitting recruitment documents to the Doctoral School of Exact and Natural Sciences.
In connection with the above, we invite you to submit documents to the Office (Krakowskie Przedmieście 1 street) from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM